Reporter, The Baltimore Sun, Baltimore/Annapolis, MD, 2013-present
Cover government and politics with a focus on local and state issues. Contribute photos and videos to enhance stories. Covered the Maryland General Assembly sessions in 2016 and 2017.
Reporter, The Capital, Annapolis, MD, 2003-2013
Wrote news, feature and profile stories for afternoon daily newspaper and website. Shot photos and videos for stories. Contributed to coverage of state politics.
• Environment Reporter, 2005-2013: Provided extensive coverage of Chesapeake Bay restoration effort, edited biweekly environmental section, covered environmental legislation at state General Assembly.
• General Assignment Reporter, 2003-2005: Covered a variety of stories from zoning disputes to police news.
Reporter, Maryland Gazette, Glen Burnie, MD, 2000-2003
Wrote news, feature and profile stories as a general assignment reporter for semiweekly community newspaper. Coverage included environment, development, state prisons and police/fire.
• Digital Photography: Use Nikon DSLR camera, lenses and external flash to produce photos for stories. Edit photos with Adobe Photoshop Elements.
• Videography: Produce videos of news events using Nikon DSLR camera and Adobe Premiere Elements.
• Appeared on other local and national news outlets to discuss news stories, including on WYPR and WEAA radio stations in Baltimore, WAMU andWMAL radio stations in Washington, Maryland Public Television, Fox News, MSNBC and C-SPAN.
• Appeared as a guest speaker for the World Trade Center Institute, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the EPA Chesapeake Bay Program, the Chesapeake Research Consortium, Leadership Anne Arundel and the American Psychological Association.
• Delivered guest lectures for journalism and political science classes at Towson University, Goucher College and Anne Arundel Community College.
• Represented the newspaper at local schools as an Earth Day presenter, practice interviewer, guest reader and speaker for newspaper club.
• Moderated “Chesapeake Bay at a Crossroads” Forum sponsored by the Capital Gazette Newspapers in 2010.
Maryland-Delaware-D.C. Press Association
Twenty awards since 2001 for categories such as environment, feature profile, medical/science, business and multimedia. Top awards include:
- 2016: First place for growth and land-use reporting (large dailies) for a team report about development in the watershed surrounding historic Ellicott City, which was devastated by a deadly flood. Award was shared with reporters Luke Broadwater and Scott Dance.
• 2012: First and second place for environment reporting (mid-size dailies) for stories about invasive snakehead fish and an in-depth look at a farm pollution lawsuit. Also, first place for state government reporting for discovering that water pollution fines largely pay for government overhead and first place for election reporting for a fact-check of a Senate campaign ad.
• 2011: Best in Show for feature profile (mid-size dailies) for a story about the last skipjack captain harvesting oysters on the Western Shore of the Chesapeake Bay. Also, first place for environment reporting for coverage of a massive die-off of oysters and first place for multimedia storytelling for stories, photos and video about rockfish poaching.
• 2010: First place in environment reporting (mid-size dailies) for an investigation that showed fines as small as $50 were being levied for major sewage spills, as well as first place in state government for finding dishwasher detergents containing phosphorus were stocked on store shelves, despite a new law banning them.
• 2006: Best in Show for growth/development (newspapers of all sizes) for a co-written article exposing the tactics used by developers to win community support for their projects.
• 2004: Best in Show for state government (newspapers of all sizes) for an examination of the fate of a neglected cemetery at a soon-to-be-closed state psychiatric hospital.
Chesapeake Associated Press
2006 Mark Twain Award for Outstanding Environment Story, for an article about the overlooked and imperiled Atlantic sturgeon.
University of Maryland, College Park: B.A. in journalism, 2000.
• Reporting intern at Gannett News Service and The Daily Times (Salisbury, MD).
• Reporter and editor for The Diamondback student newspaper.
• Earned honors citation from the Honors College.